Thursday, August 18, 2011

Star crossed lovers... in Baltimore


You see that picture? Imagine me on the right and my man ( from this time forward, Officer) on the left.

It's 2001 and honey, we're in love. Mind you we're also in 12th grade. But we didn't care because we had each other *adds gag sound effects.* I was going through a lot, I mean a whole lot. See my parents put me out. No not with my aunt or other family, out on the street. Officer didn't know at the time but I knew he wondered why he couldn't call me at night (cell phones weren't widely popular then, who would have thought!) and why he never could come over my house. After some time as we got closer, I revealed my family issues to him. Officer didn't run away but made my problems his and helped me out. I lived in his house unbeknown to his mother for a month and then eventually found my own place. Did I forget to mention we were 17? My family hated me and him. Me, just because and him because he was helping me live? I dunno but it wasn't until I became pregnant a year later that Officer's family started hating me too...


Officer and I graduated from high school no problems. He was going away to the Air Force and I was going away to college. ----------- But we didn't. Officer's mother told his recruit he had some kind of medical issue so he wasn't allowed to join. And me being the dumbest, smart person only applied to 1 college just knowing I was going to get in.....



We both licked our wounds and tried to regroup but one month I missed my period...
And Officer and I ignored it because we had our scares before but then...


I was pregnant and Officer's mother HATED me. She thought I was trapping him because of my situation. She thought the baby wasn't his. She thought we were rushing. She thought, she thought! And Officer's naiveness made things worse because he started listening to her. His mother convinced him that he needed to test our baby as soon as it was born so that the baby would be carried for life insurance. He believed it. His family won't even buy clothes or supplies because everyone believed it wasn't Officer's. They didn't say it to his face but made sly remarks to me. And here I was alone depending on him with no family of my own.

After our baby was born, looking just like him I should add, everything quieted down. My family kinda sorta accepted me again and Officer's family kinda sorta accepted me again. Now 10 years later, it's hard to believe all of that happened. We're not lovey dovey close but we're family. And Officer and I are still alive unlike Romeo and Juliet.


-Toodles



No comments:

Post a Comment