Friday, August 19, 2011

Back to school





School starts back up for Maryland next week. My kids are half excited about it, lol. They'll be going to a new school, again. We moved last year so they had to transfer mid school year. This summer, all the parents in this area received notice that our children's zone school pretty much sucked. The school's 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders didn't test well. Parents had the option to transfer their children to another school that preformed better and I jumped on that opportunity. As I was completing the form, I realized this would be the third elementary school my kids would attend. All because we moved and because we want a better education for   them. How would my children  feel about this?

Unfortunately I jumped from school to school as a child and it wasn't because of reasons mentioned above. I was a foster child. I was placed into foster care after my biological mother's foster mother became too old to care for me and my sister. (You got all of that?) Before foster care, I barely even went to school. No one forced me so I just didn't. I stayed home and helped my foster mother. She raised me from birth and called me her "Eyes." I took my role seriously.

After being ripped out of my biological mother's care giver's arms (seriously), I was placed with another older woman (Baltimore, I tell you) which I can only assume to help with my adjustment. I attended my third school while I was being fostered by this woman for 3 years.

My biological mother had another child during that time and my sister was immediately adopted. Consequentiality, her adopted family lived 10 mins away from my foster home. My sister's family heard about my sister and I, and wanted to take us in. We were moved to stay with them and later adopted. I was 10 and had a new family AND school.

Thankfully my time in foster care wasn't as traumatic as most. I was only with 2 families and remained with my    
sister the whole time. But starting over and over again with new families and new schools takes time. Making new friends, learning your way around all take some kind of adjustment. I wish my daughters' Godspeed on fitting in at their new school. At least their family will remain the same.



-Toodles

No comments:

Post a Comment