Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Billie Holiday





I love her. I don't know when I became fascinated with Billie Holiday. I do know it was before I even heard one note of her music. Billie's life mirrored both my biological mother and grandmother to a t. And because I know so little about them, I think I absorb everything there is to know about Lady Day.

Having lived in Baltimore, was involved in a life of prostitution, battled drug abuse and lost, these life challenges attracted me to Billie Holiday. Disregarding the singing, this was my mother's life :( And through Billie, I connect to my mother. I get to understand my mother even through I wasn't able to her my mother those deep questions before she passed away.

Billie Holiday's voice is so haunting. You felt all her pain and it swallows you up...

And I love her for that. 


One of Billie's lyrics tattooed on my leg :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment