Friday, September 16, 2011

Deflated Part II

Remember earlier when I said I had 2 interviews? Well....

Yesterday Thursday, I had a phone interview. Wednesday I spoke with a recruiter about a position with a major wireless company. She liked me as a candidate and passed my resume and application to the hiring manager. My phone interview was scheduled the next day at 2 pm. Cool. I prepared some notes about work experiences (I'm always ready) and waited for the call.

*Ring Ring*

With the pleasantries out the way, the hiring manager starts the interview. She mostly goes over the position, hours and training. My ears perked a little after hearing that every candidate must have total open and flexible schedule availability. The shift starts at 7 am to 10 pm. I jotted this info down knowing that I can't work that early or late. Then the fun begins....

Her: I noticed you left your job in May, what happened? 
Me: The company's contract wasn't renewed and there was some confusion about placement and salary so I decided not to make the transition.
Her: Do you regret your decision?
Me: Um.... *thinking to myself, what the hell?*

-Then-

Her: You left X company July 2007 and didn't start Y company until January 2008, why would you leave without another job?
Me: My manager had resigned and I couldn't continue working the amount of hours it required.
Her: How many hours were you working?
Me: Open to close, 9:30am to 8:30pm.
Her: Well, at this company sometimes you will be working those hrs, 6 days a week. Can you commit to this kind of schedule?
Me: *thinking of Mat's schedule and the kids* At this time, I cannot commit to that kind of schedule.
Her: Would you like to withdraw your offer then?
Me: *meekly* Yes.
Her: Ok, thanks. 

*Click*


I felt like a loser. This interrogation was like nothing I ever experienced. I'm a salesperson, so I normally can roll with the punches. I always have something to say and can think quick on my feet but this interview left me dumbfounded. All I could do was cry some, get pissed and let it roll off my back. I couldn't devote anymore time to this failed interview, my kids needed picking up. It was the company's lost. But damn.




-Toodles

No comments:

Post a Comment