Sunday, December 4, 2011

In a weird twist of fate

I'm now working for Job A. I previously wrote that I was done with Job A because of the mis-communication with the district manager. I went to work for Job B and... I quit the same day. Let me explain.

I was hired as a salaried plus commission sales associate selling cell phones for a major company. The store I was employed had a repair center on site. This will be part of the reason I quit.

I crave commission. This is why I work sales. Great potential for decent money with minimal work or hours. The entire time I worked (10am-330pm) I handled repair orders. The customers come in with their phones and we look up their accounts and send them to the technician. I did at least 10 orders. Not one customer came into the store looking to purchase phones, all repair work.

At first it wasn't an issue. Hey it's only my first day. But at 12, another employee came to work. When the manager left on break, he took me aside and asked me why did I want to work there. I gave him the, I've been in wireless 6 plus years, I'm good at it, etc etc. He cleared his throat and said, No, why do you want to work at this store? You won't make any money.

Gulp.


Before the associate said anything, I was already having doubts. As I was reading the employee manual earlier, I had major questions about the commission structure. The company seemed to penalize you for things the customers did that are out of your control. Example, if a customer is delinquent for 2 mths, you lose half of your commission. Huh? How can you control whether or not someone pays their bills?

The commission system seem rigged. The whistle blowing associate told me that his December check was already gone from customer returns etc. Damn.

So, at 3 pm I took my lunch and while I was eating, I started thinking over all the things that happened at work. And then I decided to not go back. I know, I know unprofessional.

The funny thing is I'm glad that I didn't go back because the girls' school called to tell me their bus broke down. I was less than 10 mins away so I drove and picked them up.

How did I start working for Job A? Well... I called the dm that afternoon and asked when could I start. He said tomorrow (Sat) and the rest is history.



-Toodles

No comments:

Post a Comment