Monday, October 17, 2011

Cop talk

"What happened at work last night?"

" It was pretty quiet. A 20 year old got shot in the neck at the end of my shift."

And ladies and gentlemen, that's a snippet of the kinds of conversations I have with Officer. Officer works overnight in the busiest district in Baltimore City. When I say busy, I don't mean they sell the most candy. Busy meaning A LOT of shootings and homicides. But that's Baltimore, what can you expect.*shrugs*

Officer rarely discusses his nights at at work with me. Mainly because so much happens and also because I find out things from Justin Fenton of The Baltimore Sun who tweets like a maniac updating crime reports.

But another reason is because Officer doesn't like bringing work home. When he gets home in the early am, Officer takes off his uniform and immediately plays his video game. He plays for an hour and then comes up to bed. I use to chided him about it but I realize now he needs the games to decompress.

As much as I asked him to changed shifts or lateral out, Officer refuses. He loves his coworkers and his job. It definitely takes a special person to put on a police uniform and protect Baltimore from the bad guys. I hope you guys appreciate it.

I do.

-Toodles


No comments:

Post a Comment